Tuesday, March 18, 2008
VI. Sew Up Spine
1.We've already taped the fabric strips to the table edge, but it also helps to tape them to the top of the paper signature too, to hold them in place.
2. Thread your needle with enough thread to sew up one signature, down the next, up the next, and so on, unless you have a lot more than 3-5 signatures.
I only have 3 signatures, so I've measured the thread to be 3-lengths worth, plus a bit. Don't bother with knotting the end of the thread.
3. Start by going in the entry hole, about 1/4" from the edge of the paper.
4. Then simply sew in-and-out up the first signature, going around each fabric strip.
5. When you get to the end of the first signature, place the next one on top, go in its first entry hole, and sew your way back down.
6. And back up the next one, and so on. When you've sewed up all the signatures, tie off the loose end. Don't worry too much about securing it--we'll be glueing up the spine later.
Hey! It's starting to look like a book!